Getting involved in a DUI (Driving under Influence) or DWI (Driving while intoxicated) case can create quite an unpleasant scenario for you. When you are involved in this messy case, the only person who will be able to get you out of this mess is an experienced DUI lawyers in
. When you are charged in DUI case, you will be required to pay an exorbitant amount towards fine. You will also be asked to attend training programs, alcoholic anonymous awareness sessions, and mandatory treatments and more – all of which can cost you a bomb.
If the accident has resulted in any death/deaths, you could be jailed as well. Therefore, being charged with a DUI case can be quite frightening and upsetting at the same time. This is why it is very important to choose the right criminal defense lawyer in
. Here are some points that you have to bear in mind while choosing one:
DUI Lawyer In
1. Start off the initial discussion with experienced potential attorneys
Check for the potential DUI attorneys in your locality by checking with local references. Get in touch with your friends who have previously availed the services of a DUI attorney for good leads. You can also check in groups like your respective state’s Bar Association, Association of criminal defense lawyer in
and the like. Choose a group of potential attorneys from these and have personal discussions with them to understand if they have represented any DUI/DWI cases previously in the court, their approach to work, success rate, fees and their overall professionalism & experience.
2. Local expertise
Choose a DUI criminal defense lawyer in
who has ample knowledge about the local laws and regulations. He should have the license to operate in your state. This way, your attorney will be available whenever the judge announces the date of hearing of your case. Also, if your DUI attorney is quite famous enjoys a good reputation in your locality it can work to your benefit and help you get a reduced fine or sentence.
3. Honesty and transparency
When you are involved in DUI or DWI cases, you must know that the chances of you coming out unscathed (emotionally and financially) out of it are almost impossible. Hence, choose an attorney who is quite honest about your case and who keeps you prepared about the huge financial losses that you would have to experience at the end of the case. Fatal accidents guarantee you a jail sentence, and your lawyer should be brutally honest with you about that as well. Stay away from lawyers who promise to get you out of the DUI case, without a scratch.
4. Payment terms
DUI lawyers in
do charge you a hefty sum, but this is because they try to minimize your punishment and sentence as much as they can. Therefore, choose a DUI Defense lawyer in
, who spells out his payment terms clearly right during the first discussion, the installments in which he expects them and the mode of payment preferred. Get these terms in writing, so that you don’t have to deal with unpleasant surprises in the form of hidden charges, later on.
DUI Lawyer In
I am a DUI attorney. This means I have a lot of specialized knowledge that a lot of people like. I'm a hit at cocktail parties. People enjoy asking me questions to learn about what they should do if they are ever pulled over and investigated for DUI. But rarely do people ask me what I do if they are charged with DUI. Today I'm going to answer that question.
When you are charged with a DUI you become a cog in a very big system. The prosecutor assigned to your case is often overwhelmed and not very concerned with your particular case (unless it has drawn their special attention for some reason). This means they are often willing to bargain with your DUI lawyer to make sure they get the penalty they want and you avoid the penalties you don't want.
But this isn't as simple as calling the prosecutor, telling him you know he's overworked and he should strike a deal with you. There is a lot more to it than that. It involves looking at the case with a fine toothed comb, finding all the holes and inconsistencies with the case, and then letting the prosecutor know about some or all of them so they begin to understand their case isn't as clear cut as they think.
This is done in several ways. Your DUI lawyer will look at the reason for the stop, how the transition was made from traffic stop to DUI investigation, if field sobriety tests were administered and when the arrest was made how the breath test was administered. Typically officers will make several mistakes throughout this process, some of which may even serve to get evidence suppressed and the case dismissed.
This is why it is critical to get a criminal lawyer that will fight for you and do what it takes to inform the prosecutor how weak his case is. This will ensure you get the best deal or result possible.
Probation - A Second Chance For a Convicted Felon
So you think you can do without the best DUI lawyer? Read this. Maybe your mind changes at the end.
5 Reasons Why You Need A DUI Lawyer
- The first reason is that a DUI conviction will affect your life. You will have to pay a penalty, surrender your driver's license, maybe perform some community service, or even go to jail. If you are living in Michigan, you have a stronger reason to hire the best DUI lawyer because the punishment doubles when you are caught with DUI the second time.
- There is a huge stigma attached to being caught for DUI. It's quite humiliating when your friends, relatives, or people around you come to know that you are convicted for DUI. This stigma is going to follow you like a shadow. People will see you as an irresponsible person who has a habit of drinking and driving (even though you might have did this only once.)
- Without the help of an online DUI lawyer, you might have problems in finding job. Once you are listed in the record of DUI convicts, you will have to reveal this to your employer during interview. How embarrassing! And if you are seeking job in transportation sector or a job that requires driving, simply forget it!
- DUI conviction may have an impact on your family matters too. Let's take the example of Michigan again. Here, certain issues are regulated in the best interests of kids. In spite of other factors been present in divorce or other family related cases, once the judge knows of your DUI record (which the rival party will make sure he does), your case may fall weak.
- It might even hinder your higher studies. Some colleges take fitness and character review before enrolling for courses. Be ready to face humiliation again!
Now you know why it's so important to hire the best DUI lawyer. It's possible to get acquitted from a possible conviction. DUI lawyers have the skill to do this.
Do you want to live a tainted life? At every moment and every step, you will be reminded of how you drank and drove. Every person in the world would come to know. Before you go insane, hire the best DUI lawyer!